Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays with family and friends. As for us, my heavy chemo was the week before Christmas leaving me not feeling too well, but I managed to get through Christmas morning and then took a long nap before heading to a family dinner. It was nice to have the kids home for a bit, but as always also nice to have them head back to school for the structure they need and the quiet time, mom needs.
Continuing on, last Wednesday I recall saying to Nick, "I wish I could give my veins a break and not get chemo this week. I feel like my body needs a break" My veins were starting to tingle/hurt and I just wanted a week off.
Friday comes along, and my friend Vivian picks me up at 7:15 (the usual routine) and we drive into Dana Farber. After a couple of sticks, they get an IV in and draw my blood for the usual labs that they do every week. In the lab they check to make sure your immune system (represented by WBC, Hemoglobin, platelets, etc) is in good form to receive the chemo. Sure enough, the lab results came back, with my WBC being too low to receive chemo and I got to go home! Yay!!!
I'll go this week with my regular appointment to talk to my doc, and they will tell me if I am skipping the dose or if I have to make it up, but I believe they will be allowing me to skip it.
Even though my WBC counts are low, I feel so much better this week, still tired, but able to move around more and get some things done around the house. I am pretty much quarantined to the house as my immune system is low, and I shouldn't be around people who might be carrying a virus.
Thus the gift of not only a week off of chemo, but also to get through the piles of paperwork on my desk!
Gifts come in all forms, we just have to take a moment to reflect to realize it. Be well and stay warm everyone.
All my love,
Renee
No comments:
Post a Comment