Saturday, December 1, 2012

What can I say? The blessings continue....

I do begin writing this with slightly heavy heart knowing that a beautiful woman, Pam, from our church, a young mother of three, is on hospice right now.    She has attempted the fight against the return of cancer for the last two years, but her healing is going to come in a different form.   As you read this, please say a prayer for Pam and her family as they seek healing and peace, not only for her, but for themselves.   I thank God, that the Prince of Peace has come, and we will be celebrating His birth this month, but that He will come again to bring Peace to everyone.

As for me...where to begin?   So many things to adjust to.    I can now fully look in the mirror and truly embrace what I see with my "bald" head.  It really isn't that bald, hair is growing, but compared to what I had it was enough to have my head "shaved".  My neck isn't used to being so bare though; so I'm almost always cold.   I think Nick may have a small stroke when he gets the heating bill for this month.  Although I have been wrapping myself up in an amazingly plush robe that one of my villagers, Andrea's mom sent from Utah.   Thank you Mrs. Liapis for this robe that I do wear pretty constantly now to keep my neck warm!  

As for the kids, they much prefer seeing me bald as opposed to the wig on.  Although I get many compliments on the wig, my kids prefer to see me for who I am right now.   A HUGE relief knowing that I can walk around comfortably, with nothing on my head,  and all they see is "mommy".   They can look past it all and still see the person they need to see.   That is why the Bible says how easy it is for children to enter the Kingdom of God.   They look past everything on the outside, and just see who is on the inside.

So much to touch on this week.    I think I have to begin with one "villager" at a time. Before all of this happened, I VERY RARELY made the time during the day while Anna and James were at school/pre-school to have lunch/coffee with a friend.    What was I thinking?  I always busied myself with the gym, shopping, cleaning, etc.  How could I not make the time to connect with a friend for even 45 minutes?   So much comes from meeting up with a friend to just talk...not plan anything, just talk.    This week, I met with a friend who has children also with special needs.    It is always so important to talk about things to try and get it all into perspective.   It is hard when we isolate ourselves sometimes.   So to everyone out there, please make the time to connect with a friend for lunch, coffee, whatever.     So much healing comes of it!

Now it is time for a picture break.  This week, another of my "villager" angels, Susan,  brought over an amazing gift.  She has such a talent for quilting.  She made this BEAUTIFUL quilt for me below with the ovarian cancer survivor ribbon in the middle of it. (And yes, as soon as I laid out the quilt on my bed, Andrew jumped up and wanted to twirl himself up in it!)  Now I wake up every morning, see the quilt on my bed and am reminded how much love and support I am receiving during this time.   From the bottom of my heart Susan, thank you for this.  I do feel somewhat guilty though keeping this for myself.  It is so beautiful, I think it should be on display somewhere at Dana Farber!


To my two food deliverers this week, Sofia who made a lentil soup out for fresh Cretan olive oil, thank you!  Anna's exact words after her first spoonful was "This is DELICIOUS!"  and to Moe and her awesome cabbage soup...both stomach and heartwarming..we loved it.  Also to the unexpected delivery from Vivian.  Once again, just by coming over with some delicious leftovers, we were able to break bread together and share what is going on.  All of this is so incredibly helpful and healing for me.    Many people who know me and see me, think that I look like I always have, just bald!    Although chemo is tiring, and nauseating, I feel so good, and I KNOW that has everything to do with "my village".  I can only HOPE that one day I will be able to return all of the generosity that is coming my way.

To all of the people who send "checking in on me" emails, and to all of the cards I receive in the mail. I LOVE receiving them..knowing that you are still thinking and praying for me and the family. THANK YOU!!!!  My heart could not be any more grateful.

This past week, was my "heavy" chemo week.    I asked the docs for different drugs for the nausea as the Zofran/Compazine combination helped, but only so much.    They offered me something else in my IV this week and Emend for 3 days after, which has helped more for sure.  The slight nausea remains, but I am better than I was.    I received my chemo on Thursday this week, so that I could attend an educational conference on Friday and today (Saturday) about educating kids with Down syndrome.   I have been looking forward for years, to have this specific panel of speakers come to New England to talk to Anna's team at school.  They are the premier researchers from the UK for educating kids with DS.  So I knew I needed to make it through the conference.  Thank you also to all of you who have been driving me to and from the conference (as I can't drive because of the meds I'm on).   Thank you and thank you again!

My "chemo buddies" for the week, were some dear friends Danae and Greg.    I must say to all of you, please don't be nervous for me on chemo days, I actually do okay!    The worst part of chemo days is getting the IV which now, I am getting used to, and only takes 20 seconds (maybe 10 seconds even!), and then being super tired when I get home.  But with my new sitters in place, I can go upstairs and lie down for a while, so I'm okay.  I don't want any of you losing sleep the night before you come to get me.   Really, it's okay.    I did have a friend ask if the chemo "hurst or burns" while it is going in, and the answer is definitely no.  It feels just like the saline drip.    Truly, I actually enjoy my chemo days because I do get to sit with friends and talk.    It may sound crazy but I love catching up with all of you!

I feel like this is a long enough enough blog.    I will end it with another picture of me with my wig on.  Not a great picture (the coloring is way off) but at least you get an idea of what I look like with my new do!

By the way, this picture was taken on Thanksgiving, when our dear friends, the Photopoulos family, (whom the greater Vekiarides family owes a debt of gratitude to for their continued support with Nick's parents, my immediate family etc.), brought over a whole Thanksgiving meal to us so that I didn't have to do anything except pick up the house and set the table.  THANK YOU Mary, Cornelia and Demetri for that!  







2 comments:

  1. ALWAYS thinking of you and wishing I could do more. One of these days ... sending you virtual hugs for now! (((HUGS!))) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful inside and out....just like always. I love you.

    ReplyDelete